Home :: Requip
Requip Medication - Uses & Side Effects
Generic Name: Ropinirole hydrochloride
ROPINIROLE (Requip™) help to treat Parkinson's disease. Ropinirole also used to treat muscle control and movement difficulties. You can also take Ropinirole tablets together with other medicines that control symptoms of Parkinson's. Ropinirole is also used to treat Restless Legs Syndrome.
- You should take Requip medicine 3 times a day. During the first week of therapy, you should take each dose is 0.25 milligram. During the second week, the dosage rises to 0.5 milligram. In the third week, it increases to 0.75 milligram, and in the fourth week reaches 1 milligram (3 milligrams daily). Your doctor increases dosage up to a maximum of 24 milligrams per day.
- If you feel that the Requip therapy should be stop, then your doctor may stop the drug gradually over a 7-day period and also decrease the number of doses from 3 to 2 per day for the first 4 days after that once a day for the remaining 3 days.
Uses of Requip
- Requip medication is used to treat Parkinson's disease.
- Requip medicine is also used to treat RLS (Restless Legs Syndrome).
Side Effects of Requip
Before taking Requip medicine, discuss the risk and benefits of Requip medicine with your doctor. Because if you have any medical problems, then your doctor decide you should take this medicine or not. Side effects may include:
- Abdominal pain
- abnormal muscle movements
- abnormal vision
- increased sweating
- abnormal dreaming
- decreased muscle movements
- difficulty breathing
- dry mouth
- sore throat
- eye problems
Warnings and precautions before taking Requip:
- If you notice any change in the intensity, tell your doctor. Because Requip medicine may also cause darkening of your skin and eye color.
- If you have heart disease, then use Requip medicine with caution. There is also a chance of developing respiratory difficulties or may cause problems with your eyesight. If you feel any swelling, or develop problems with your vision, contact your doctor immediately.
- if you have hallucinations, mental confusion, difficulty walking, any allergies, kidney problems, liver disease, low blood pressure, consult with your doctor what should I do.
Drug Interaction :-
If you are taking Requip medicine with certain other drugs, it can be increased, decreased, or altered the effects of medicine and it may be cause to other serious effects. So it is especially important to check with your doctor before combining Requip medicine with the following:
- Estrogen medications such as ethinyl estradiol (Estinyl)
- Ciprofloxacin (Cipro)
- Metoclopramide (Reglan)
- Major tranquilizers such as Haldol, Mellaril, Navane, Prolixin, and
- Drugs that contain levodopa such as Dopar, Larodopa
- Tranquilizers such as the benzodiazepines Ativan, Librium, Valium,
- Antidepressants such as Elavil, Pamelor, and Tofranil
If you are taking Requip medicine and if you notice any changes on the treatment area or if you feel that the overdose is suspected. Symptoms of Requip medicine overdose may include:
- symptoms of low blood pressure (dizziness, light-headedness) upon standing
- chest pain
- facial muscle movements
- increased jerkiness of movement