Home :: Mellaril
Mellaril Medication - Uses & Side Effects
Generic Name: Thioridazine hydrochloride
THIORIDAZINE (Mellaril®) is used to treat disordered thoughts and some other emotional, nervous, and mental problems. It also used to treats behavioral problems in children. Mellaril combats the crippling mental disorder known as schizophrenia (a severe loss of contact with reality).
- You should take the starting dose ranges from 50 to 100 milligrams 3 times a day.
- Your doctor may increase your dosage to as much as 800 milligrams a day, taken in 2 to 4 small doses. When your symptoms will improve, your doctor may decrease the dosage to the lowest effective amount.
- Mostly starting dose for schizophrenic children is 0.5 milligrams per 2.2 pounds of body weight per day, divided into smaller doses. The dose may be increased to a maximum of 3 milligrams per 2.2 pounds per day.
Uses of Mellaril
- Mellaril is used to treat the disorganized and psychotic thinking.
- It is also used to treat false perceptions ( e.g. hallucinations or delusions ).
- Thioridazine is a phenothiazine used to treat emotional disorders such as include schizophrenia , as well as depression and anxiety.
- It is used to treat in patients who have delusions, hallucinations, unorganized thought and hostility.
- It can also be used in patients who have bad side effects to other medicines.
Side Effects of Mellaril
If you are taking Mellaril medicine, then the possible side effects may occur. So before taking Mellaril medicine, discuss to your doctor about the side effects of this medicine. If you feel any change in intensity, then inform to your doctor immediately. Because your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Mellaril. Side effects may include:
- Blurred vision
- breast development in men
- breast milk secretion
- dry mouth
- swelling in the arms and legs (edema)
- tardive dyskinesia (see "Special warnings about Mellaril)
Warnings and precautions before taking Mellaril:
- If you are planining to become pregnant, then do not take this drug. Do not used Mellaril medicine if you are breast-feeding.
- If you have any allergic from other medications, let your doctor know.
- If you have a irregular heartbeat, a fast heartbeat, or an arrhythmia then talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- If you are using high doses,then it may also cause vision problems, including blurring, brownish coloring of vision, and poor night vision.
Drug Interaction :-
Do not used any other drugs with Mellaril medicine without talking to your doctor. Remember that combining Mellaril with certain drugs may increase the danger of potentially fatal heartbeat irregularities or it can change the effect of Mellaril medicine and it may cause to serious effects. Among the drugs to avoid are the following:
- Amiodarone (Cordarone)
- Cimetidine (Tagamet)
- Delavirdine (Rescriptor)
- Fluoxetine (Prozac)
- FluvoxamineParoxetine (Paxil)
- Propafenone (Rythmol)
- Propranolol (Inderal)
- Quinidine (Quinaglute, Quinidex)
- Ritonavir (Norvir)
If you are taking Mellaril and after taking, If you feel the overdose is suspected then contact to your doctor immediately. Symptoms of Mellaril overdose may include:
- blurred vision
- difficulty breathing
- dilated or constricted pupils
- diminished flow of urine
- dry mouth
- dry skin
- excessively high or low body temperature
- extremely low blood pressure
- fluid in the lungs
- heart abnormalities
- inability to urinate
- intestinal blockage
- nasal congestion