Home :: Fioricet
Fioricet Medication - Uses & Side Effects
Generic Name: Caffeine
ACETAMINOPHEN-BUTALBITAL-CAFFEINE (Fioricet®, Esgic®, Endolor®, and others) is a combination product medicine used to treat certain types of headaches and migraines as well as mild to moderate pain. Federal law prohibits the transfer of acetaminophen-butalbital-caffeine to any person other than the patient for whom it was prescribed. Do not share this medicine with any one else. Generic acetaminophen-butalbital-caffeine tablets and capsules are available.
- Do not use total dose of 6 tablets per day , the commonly dose of Fioricet is 1 or 2 tablets taken every 4 hours as needed.
- The safety and effectiveness of Fioricet have not been established in children under 12 years of age.
Uses of Fioricet
- Together, acetaminophen, butalbital, and caffeine medicine are used to treat complex tension (muscle contraction) headaches although precisely how it works is unknown.
- Fioricet medication may also be used to treat migraine headaches.
Side Effects of Fioricet
When you are taking Fioricet then the following side effects may occur, So consult to your doctor before using Fioricet. Side effects for any drug are difficult to predict, but the commonly side effects for Fioricet include:
- Abdominal pain
- Intoxicated feeling
Warnings and precautions before taking Fioricet:
- If you have any kind of medical problem or if you have any kind of surgery (including dental surgery) or emergency treatment, Consult to your doctor or dentist before taking the medicine. If your medical doctor or dentist gives you certain medicines without knowing, then serious side effects can occur.
- Fioricet dependence symptoms may cause you to become drowsy or less alert; so, driving or operating dangerous machinery or participating in any hazardous activity that requires full mental alertness is not recommended until you know your response to this drug.
- if you have liver or kidney problems, or if you have severe abdominal trouble then use Fioricet with caution if you are elderly or in a weakened condition.
Drug Interaction :-
If you are taking any drugs with the Fioricet, then first consult to your doctor. Because any drug interaction can increased or decreased the effects of Fioricet, It may also alter the effect of Fioricet and may prevent to doing a job or it can cause to the other effects. It is especially important to check with your doctor before combining Fioricet with the following:
- Antihistamines such as Benadryl
- Drugs known as monoamine oxidase inhibitors, including the antidepressants Nardil and
- Drugs to treat depression such as Elavil
- Major tranquilizers such as Haldol and Thorazine
- Muscle relaxants such as Flexeril
- Narcotic pain relievers such as Darvon
- Sleep aids such as Halcion
- Tranquilizers such as Xanax and Valium
If you feel the overdose is suspected then contact to your doctor immediately. Symptoms of an Fioricet overdose include
- abdominal pain
- decreased breathing
- dizziness or fainting
- an irregular heartbeat