Home :: Pediapred
Pediapred Medication - Uses & Side Effects
Generic Name: Prednisolone sodium phosphate
PREDNISOLONE (OraPred®, Pediapred®, Prelone®) is a corticosteroid. It is used to treat the swelling, redness, itching, and allergic reactions and it may also be used to treat severe allergies, skin problems, asthma, arthritis and other conditions.
- You should take Pediapred medicine with food.
- Your dosage may vary from 5 milliliters to 60 milliliters. It depend on your specific disease being treated and your dosage used as determine by your doctor.
Uses of Pediapred
- Prednisolone medicine is a man-made (synthetic) corticosteroid used to decrease swelling (inflammation) seen in various medical conditions such as include allergic reactions, skin conditions (e.g., psoriasis, hives), arthritis, cancer, blood disorders, or multiple sclerosis.
- Prednisolone medicine is also used to treat organ transplant rejection.
Side Effects of Pediapred
Before taking or using Prediapred medicine, tell your doctor and discuss about the risk and benefits of medicine. Because you may have some medical problems, So your doctor decide that you should take this medicine or not. Side effects may include:
- Abnormal loss of bony tissue causing fragile bones
- abnormal redness of the face
- thinning of the skin
- backbone break that collapses the spinal column
- swelling of the abdomen
- weight gain
- slow wound healing
- feeling of illness
- fluid retention (edema)
- sugar diabetes
- fracture of long bones
- glaucoma (increased eye pressure)
- high blood pressure
Warnings and precautions before taking Pediapred:
- Do not used Pediapredmedicine without talking to your doctor, if you have internal (systemic) fungal infection.
- Contact with your doctor if you have liver problems, kidney problems, thyroid disorder, heart problems, stomach/intestinal problems (e.g., ulcers, ulcerative colitis), any infections (e.g., tuberculosis, herpes, bacterial infections).
- If you feel some sleepy or fever and other signs of infection when you are taking Pediapred medicine, tell your doctor immediately.
- When you are using Pediapred medicine, it may cause mood swings, insomnia, severe depression, or even severe mental disorders.
Drug Interaction :-
If you are taking other drugs with Pediapred medicine, then tell your doctor. Because it may increased, decreased, or altered the effects of Pediapred medicine. So it is especially important to check with your doctor before combining Pediapred with the following:
- Ketoconazole (Nizoral)
- Phenytoin (Dilantin)
- Barbiturates such as phenobarbital and Seconal
- Cyclosporine (Sandimmune and Neoral)
- Warfarin (Coumadin)
- Diabetes drugs such as Glucotrol
- Estrogens such as Premarin
- Isoniazid (Nydrazid)
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen
- Ephedrine (in products such as Marax and Rynatuss)
- Oral contraceptives
- Amphotericin B
- Rifampin (Rifadin)
- Water pills such as Lasix
After taking Pediapred medicine, if you feel that overdose is suspected then contact with your doctor immediately. Symptoms of an overdose include:
- a round face
- sore or weak muscles.
- obesity (especially around the stomach)
- increased hair growth (especially around the face)
- increased blood pressure
- swollen hands
- ankles (fluid retention)