Home :: Nexium
Nexium Medication - Uses & Side Effects
Generic Name: Esomeprazole magnesium
Nexium contains the medicine esomeprazole. Esomeprazole is a type of medicine known as proton pump inhibitor (PPI). It reduced the acid in the stomach by blocking a particular molecule in a type of cell in the stomach. ESOMEPRAZOLE (Nexium®) prevents the production of acid in the stomach. It reduces symptoms that may cause to the esophagus, stomach, or intestines in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or ulcers and in those taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID) drugs.
- The usual dosage is one 20-milligram capsule daily for 4 weeks to treat the symptoms, that may cause to produced acid in the stomach.
- If you want to damage the heal , the usual dosage is 20 or 40 milligrams of Nexium daily for 4 to 8 weeks. After 4 weeks, If you haven't fully healed , your doctor may increased the dosage and also additional 4 to 8 weeks. To maintain healing, the dosage is 20 milligrams daily.
Uses of Nexium
- Nexium is used to decreases the amount of acid produced in the stomach.
- Nexium is also used to treat symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- You can also used Nexium to prevent gastric ulcer that may caused by infection with helicobacter pylori, or by the use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
- Nezium is also used to treat heartburn, acid indigestion, sour stomach, and other conditions in which the stomach makes too much acid. Nexium also is used in combination with antibiotics to treat ulcers.
Side Effects of Nexium
If you are using Nexium medicine, then discuss to your doctor about the side effects. If you feel any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor immediately. Because your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Nexium. Side effects may include:
- Abdominal pain
Warnings and precautions before taking Nexium:
- If you have any type of liver disease, then consult with your doctor before taking Nexium.
- Do not used Nexium without talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
- Before using this medication, tell your doctor medical history, especially if you have severe liver disease, other stomach problems (e.g., tumors).
- Some symptoms that may cause more serious condition. Consult with your doctor immediately if you have heartburn combined with lightheadedness/sweating/dizziness, chest pain or shoulder/jaw pain (especially with trouble breathing), pain spreading to arms/neck/shoulders, unexplained weight loss.
Drug Interaction :-
Do not used any drugs with Nexium medicine without talking to your doctor. Because any drugs you are taking with Nexium can increased, decreased, or altered the effects of medicine or it may cause to the other serious effect. So it is especially important to check with your doctor before combining Nexium with the following:
- Diazepam (Valium)
- Digoxin (Lanoxin)
- Iron salts (Ferro-Sequels)
- Ketoconazole (Nizoral)
- Warfarin (Coumadin)
Any medication taken in excess can have serious consequences. If you suspect an overdose, contact with your doctor immediately. Symptoms of Nexium overdose may include:
- Blurred vision
- dry mouth flushing headache
- rapid heartbeat
- shortness of breath
- loss of coordination
- seizure (convulsions).