Home :: Neurontin
Neurontin Medication - Uses & Side Effects
Generic Name: Gabapentin
GABAPENTIN (Neurontin®) is used to control partial seizures (convulsions) in adults with epilepsy. Gabapentin is also used to treat certain types of nerve pain. Neurontin (gabapentin) is a prescription drug used in the treatment of post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN) and partial seizures in adults and children.
- You should take started dose 300 milligrams three times a day. After that, the commonly daily dosage ranges should be 900 to 1,800 milligrams divided into 3 doses.
- your doctor adjust the dosage according to your weight. So daily dosage is calculated according to the child's weight.
- Mostlt the starting dosage is 10 to 15 milligrams per 2.2 pounds. Then your doctor increased your dosage afetr the three days to 40 milligrams per 2.2 pounds for children aged 3 and 4, and 25 to 35 milligrams per 2.2 pounds for children aged 5 and over.
Uses of Neurontin
- Neurontin is also used with other drugs to treat the some types of seizures and for the management of postherpetic neuralgia (nerve pain caused by the herpes virus or shingles).
- Neurontin may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
- Neurontin medicine is also used to relieve nerve pain associated with shingles (herpes zoster) infection in adults.
- Gabapentin may also be used to treat other nerve pain conditions such as including diabetic neuropathy, peripheral neuropathy, trigeminal neuralgia.
Side Effects of Neurontin
Before taking Neurontin medicine, first consult to your doctor about the risk and benefits of Neurontin. If you are taking Neurontin medicine, then possible side effects may occur. If any change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. because your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Neurontin. More common side effects may include:
- double vision
- bronchitis (in children)
- fever (in children)
- involuntary eye movement
- runny nose
- lack of muscular coordination
- viral infection (in children)
- weight increase (in children)
Warnings and precautions before taking Neurontin:
- After taking Neurontin medicine, you will feel some sleepy, dizzy or drowsy. So use caution engaging in activities requiring alertness such as driving or using machinery.
- if you have any kidney problems or are on hemodialysis, then contact to your doctor and do not start or stop taking Neurontin medicine without talking to your. As your doctor will need to adjust your dosage of Neurontin.
Drug Interaction :-
If you are taking Neurontin medicine with other drugs, then consult to your doctor. Because it may increased, decreased or altered the effects of drugs or it may cause to the other serious effect. It is especially important to check with your doctor before combining Neurontin with the following:
- Antacids such as Maalox
- Hydrocodone (Lortab, Vicodin)
- Naproxen (Naprosyn)
- Morphine (Kadian, MS Contin)
After taking Neurontin medicine, if you feel that overdose is suspected. Consult to your doctor immediately. Symptoms of Neurontin overdose may include:
- double vision
- slurred speech